You can take the boy off the farm, but you can't take the farm off the boy. I'm not 100% sure what that means, but I think it applies to me.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Mississippi Delta Day 1

I started this blog so I could share my trip to Mississippi. I have wanted to visit the Delta since I was a kid, but as many things go, I had to wait until I was 50 years old to get it together. I get asked all the time - Why Mississippi? Fireflies, catfish, big rivers, pork chops, black-eyed peas, fried okra, pecan pie and it was the first long word I learned to spell- That's why. My plan is to meet as many folks as I can and to acctually hands-on experience as much as I can. I plan to take a lot of photos and share some of them here. Thanks to Rhonda and my friends for making it happen.

It was a bit of fun to get here- I got on a plane at midnight, flew all night, then rented a car in Jackson and drove 100 miles to Tallahatchie flats. I drove the small roads, but kept hitting detours because of flooding, After getting turned back a couple of times, I stuck to the main highway and got here about noon. My shack is pretty cool with a nice portch on the front and back.

 I took a drive down one of the little roads to a town called Money. There's a little store there that was the scene of some of the worst of Mississippi's past. It is where a young African American boy, Emmett Till, was killed and there was a long trial, news media, KKK and such. But, as everyone here tells me....that was a long time ago and things have changed.

While I was there, I met an older gentleman that told me about some of the history. He invited me to his church for supper that evening. I had a great meal of quail, slaw, bisquits, and butter beans! I met some great people and had a really fun time in their fellowship hall. Pastor Butch took me over and showed me their sancurary.  We talked for about an hour. Great Folks.

I ended up passing the evening on the porch of the next shack talking with a couple from Holland. They were very interested in about everything American, especially music.  They were on the way the next morning to Graceland.

2 comments:

  1. What a great day 1!! -rg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rawge,
    Sounds like your having a great time so far. Can't wait to hear all about your trip.

    God Bless,
    Diana Ceccard

    ReplyDelete