You can take the boy off the farm, but you can't take the farm off the boy. I'm not 100% sure what that means, but I think it applies to me.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 4 Mississippi - Driving the Countryside (and a bit about bugs)

I slept in a little today to make up for the sleep I missed last night chasing catfish. I drove up to Wildwood plantation (folks here pronounce it without the first T - planation). I photographed the churches I saw along the way. I'm sure that most anywhere in the Country, if you drive far enough, you can watch the socioeconomic situation change. Here, you can see it in a mile. I saw mansions with columns and then a mile down the road I saw shacks with their laundry on the line. It was even more pronounced in the church buildings. A GoogleEarth search shows about 100 churches in a 10-mile radius. Below are a few that I photographed.


This the local "Mega-church" in Greenwood. It is a spectacular building that spans about a city block. The parking lot takes up about another whole block. The top of the steeple is probably 150' in the air.


This a more modest church in town. Very pretty with beautiful lawn.

This church is about 4 miles out of town,. It is a steel building with a gravel parking lot.

This church is about 8 miles out of town. The whole building is leaning a few degrees. It's got a propane tank for heat and I can see 3 window air conditioners. 

I'm sure you can see the progression here. There's a big change in 10 miles of driving, but as the Word says, where two or three gather in His name, He is there....  I'm sure that is true no matter the condition of size of the building.



Now I want to talk about bugs, because I'm still itching from all the bugs that bit me last night. The fireflys and butterflies are really cool, but the others are just scary. There was a swarm of bugs around the little porch light that looked like a small tornado. There are grasshoppers the size of sparrows. Some of them are as pretty as butterflies when they fly. Junebugs are everywhere after dark. I know they are harmless, but they are so big and hard that they just creep me out. The sound like a rock when the smack the windows. There are wasps of every color and dragonflies of every size. I must just be a big sissy, because I drove into town to buy some repellent and they didn't sell it. Even as I sit on the porch typing this with no light on, there are things crawling across the LCD screen that make me shiver.... big bugs with eyes that look around and tails that have an ominous wiggle. Good night - I'm going inside.








Look at those fangs and look how he dwarfs all the other bugs!


1 comment:

  1. You been gone so long, you don't even know you've only been gone 4 days. :) Hence Day 5 of your blog.

    Those are some cool looking bugs. Please don't bring any of them back with you though.

    I love you and miss you!

    Your southern baby,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete