You can take the boy off the farm, but you can't take the farm off the boy. I'm not 100% sure what that means, but I think it applies to me.

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Day 9, Music til My Fingers Were Raw

Today started like most others - A Rocky Sonier Bayou breakfast of hot sausage and scrambled eggs. I may miss that breakfast the most. This is my 9th day and I still hadn't played much music, other than alone in front of my cabin. Well I made up for it today. I played Cajun music all day! First here then there.... I bet I've played 40 or more Cajun songs today and a handful of gospel songs.

I Started the morning playing with some folks in Rocky's porch room. It's a big room, about 40' long and 16' wide, with big windows all along one side. There are rough-cut Cyprus benches along every wall. The room is decorated with old signs, paintings and pictures of famous musicians.

About noon I drove 8 miles to Vermillionville for a Cajun jam. I got lucky as there were several of the area's top musicians there to play and some great Cajun singers, too. I was a little intimidated and decided I would just sit and listen. It worked until I met Miss Sheryl Cormier, the fist lady accordion player to be inducted into the Cajun Music Hall of Fame. She insisted I "Get that guitar and sit down here!" I retrieved the guitar from the car and a couple of guitar players opened up a spot in the circle for me to sit down. These folks were great - both of the guitar players helped me along for the 25 or so songs we played. Most of the songs were simple 3 chord songs in 3/4 or 2/4 time. But a lot of them had weird modulations where it shifted down or up a step for a bridge. Every song was led by a fiddle or an accordion or both. There were so many accordions and fiddles that they had to rotate into the circle. Afterwards we sat around and drank coffee and talked. They were all very interested in the Canadian built Reborn guitar and had a lot of questions. The guy beside me was really skilled. He was playing a nice upper-end Taylor. One of the other guitar players complimented him on the guitar and he said there was only one thing wrong with it "It aint a Martin!" I guess this is Martin territory.

I got back to the cabin about 5:00 pm. I went up to get some supper and Rocky told me there was a guy coming over that plays guitar and can sing French. A few minutes later I met Doyle Tauzin, a young guy with a strong voice. We passed the guitar back and forth until I felt comfortable with his version of Jole Blon. Miss Lisa filmed me playing while Doyle sang. Doyle had a strong and loud voice - my little guitar couldn't compete with it on the tiny tablet's microphone. But, I had done what I had wanted to do on this trip - get a recording of me playing Jole Blon. I had heard the song since I was just a small kid, and now I played it in Arcadiana - the heart of Cajun land. My dad would be proud.

Toward evening the place cleared out as folks went out to spend their Saturday night. I was so tired I decided to just sit around and do nothing but listen to the sounds of the trees, crickets and frogs. A couple of folks came up and sat down and asked about my guitar. I met Mr and Mrs Reverend Malcom Meyers. Reverend Meyers pastors a small Pentecostal church in southeastern Louisiana, a few hours away. They were here celebration their 47th wedding anniversary. He looked like the classic preacher, with wavy hair combed straight back. He was a gentleman in every way and had great stories. Mrs Meyers was also a treat to speak with. She had a comforting voice and a gentle, caring spirit.

After I told them about the guitar and my little guitar shop, he asked to check it out. He picked it up and guess what? The two of them started singing some old gospel hymns. The parson had a great old voice and you cold tell his wife had sang many songs at his side. She knew just were to jump in and how to pick the perfect harmonies. We passed an hour or so passing the guitar back and forth and talking about life in God's service.

We parted company with a good loud Pentecostal prayer.

If the videos don't load, you can see them all at

http://www.youtube.com/rebornguitars








No comments:

Post a Comment