You can take the boy off the farm, but you can't take the farm off the boy. I'm not 100% sure what that means, but I think it applies to me.

Friday, May 25, 2012

LOUISIANA BAYOU 2012 - Day 1



Rhonda dropped me off at the Sacramento airport at about 5:15 am and I arrived on Lafayette LA about 10 hrs later. Before I left, Rhonda bought me a lOUSIANA atlas. Rhonda likes maps - I like technology. I decided to leave the paper atlas at  home. I wouldn't need it, I've got a $400 phone witH GPS. I found out as soon as I got behind the wheel of the rental car that appearantly sattellites are harder to find  here. The best my phone could do was show me smack in the midd le of the state.

I stopped twice to buy a map. Neither place sold a map but both places gave directions for free. Unfortunatly, in Louisiana you get what you pay for. Neither set of directions helped me much, but with some luck, I stumbled onto Highway 90 east in less than 30 mins.
Once I found the 4-lane, It was a short 1-1/2 hr drive to Morgan City. I was met by my new friend Anthony who led me to his trailer on the Bayou. I was starving so he pointerd me toward a resteraunt about 6 miles away. The little bayou cafe was a nice place with local seafood and a patio right on the water. It was just getting dark as I sit there sipping some cold sweet tea.

The water below my feet rippled a little and I noticed about a dozen heads sticking out of the water. There were at least 20 turtles watching me from the edge of the water.  I think they are like bayou pigeons waiting for me to throw something to them. Since I'm not totally savy on the local games laws about feeding wildlife, I refrained from tossing in some of my meal. 

As I ate my stuffed crab and white beans, there was a big swirl and every turtle vanished.  Woo Hoo! My first gator! It was only about 18" long and was actually kind of cute......but it was a gator!

I stayed and watched the sunset and headed back to my trailer. I'm excited to see what I can find tomorrow. 





No comments:

Post a Comment