You can take the boy off the farm, but you can't take the farm off the boy. I'm not 100% sure what that means, but I think it applies to me.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Day 4 Breaux Bridge

As I left the 4-mile bayou area to drive up to Breaux Bridge, I've noticed a few things about this whole bayou area - everyone owns between 3-10 boats, most everyone has an interesting mailbox post, and a good deal of the houses are built on tall foundations or outright stilts. About every other house has some manner of Catholic statuary in the yard and people like to wave. They also like to talk and a 2 minute story can easily take an hour. A five minute story and you better find a seat and some shade.

The coolest thing about the area is that everything has a pretty name - Assumption Parish, Atchafalya, Lake Haha, Fordoche, Bayou Teche, Mamou, Jonesville..... Ok, Jonesville doesn't sound pretty, but it is here.

The drive up was about an hour and a half. I managed to find the Bayou Cabins with no GPS and no map. Dumb luck pulled me through again. The cabin office was closed so I called the number on the door. Miss Sonnier said she was expecting me and wold be right over. I was to wait where I was, but my cabin was the last one on the right. While I waited I went over to have a look. The cabin was rotted and falling over. It was mostly covered with Kudzu and a good portion of the tin roof was rusted through. Ok, I'm thinking that they did give me a discount. When Miss Sonnier pulled up, she looked at me and said with a grin " Oh did I say right? I ment left". My cabin is actually really cool. It has a screened in front porch and a deck on the back that sits on the edge of the bayou. The whole little place is decorated with old advertising signs, old bicycles, and farm implements.

My friend John came over in the afternoon with his skiff. His deckhand was working her regular job, so she couldn't make it. With that,  I offered to fill in. Until then, I hadn't realized that his pretty deckhand was the only one on the boat that knew how to keep the dry stuff dry, keep the important stuff inside the boat, and which end of the map was north. But to our credit, the two of us managed to spend several fun hours on the water and find our way back to the same place we started. We probably didn't really need that stuff that blew out and john's wallet and phone will surely dry out in a few days.

Afterwards we had a great dinner of stuffed crab, crawfish bisque and something else that I can't spell but sounded something like fit to play.

I finished off the the evening sitting on the porch with my guitar trying to play the famous cajun waltz, Jole Blon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jolie blonde, regardez donc quoi t'as fait, Tu m'as quitte pour t'en aller, Pour T'en aller avec un autre, oui, que moi, Quel espoir et quel avenir, mais, moi, je vais avoir?

Jolie blonde, tu m'as laisse, moi tout seul, Pour t'en aller chez ta famille. Si t'aurais pas ecoute tos les conseils de les autres tu serait ici-t-avec moi aujourd 'hui

Jolie blonde, tu croyais il y avait just toi, Il y a pas just toi dans le pays pour moi aimer. Je peux trouver just une autre jolie blonde, Bon Dieu sait, moi, j'ai un tas.

In English
Pretty blond, look at what you've done, You left me to go away, to go away with another, yes, than me, What hope and what future am I going to have?

Pretty blond, you've left me all alone To go back to your family. If you had not listened to all the advice of the others You would be here with me today.

Pretty blond, you thought there as just you, There is not just you in the land to love me. I can find another pretty blond, Good God knows, I have a lot.








1 comment:

  1. I can picture you out in the skiff, laughing, joking, and dropping items over the side. Sounds like a great time. We look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete